Perfecto, the coffee shop at 784 Washington Blvd, has gone out of business. I'm not sure what the issue was exactly, but there seemed to be only one employee, and after he resigned it looks like the owner threw in the towel.
Steel Drum Cafe, the bar/restaurant at 771 Washington Blvd, does not have an "out of business" sign, but their doors were closed this weekend when they would normally be open. I heard they had been that way for a few days at least.
Adam Van Bavel and Bill Marker are a couple of local boys running for a city council seat. Please be sure to check them out and consider who you would like representing you! Remember, if you're not making these decisions, someone else is making them for you. This goes for being more involved in your community as well.
It looks like the new council district zones will take effect after the new election. Until then, Pigtown remains in 3 different districts.
Here they are helping out at Pigtown's Rebuilding Day:
|Adam Van Bavel|
Rebuilding Together Baltimore for helping with that! You can check out a few pictures from that event as well as the Housewerks Tag Sale, and Gallery 788 Flea Market on Pigtown Main Street's Facebook photo album and Pigtown Fan's Facebook photo album. Lots of things were going on this weekend!
- Tuesday May 3rd at 7pm there will be a Friends of Carroll Park meeting at Wayman's AME Church, 1307 Washington Blvd.
- Thursday May 5th 6-10pm there will be a gallery opening at Gallery 788 (and I'm guessing 21g as well, which is just two doors down), 788 Washington Blvd. They tend to be quite the event, so check it out!!
- Tuesday May 10th at 7pm there will be a Citizens of Pigtown (COP) community meeting at the bath house, 904 Washington Blvd. Enter through the side door.
- Saturday May 14th, and Saturday May 28th there will be a neighborhood cleanup with Washington Village Development Association (WVDA). Meet at 9:30am at the interesection of W Cross & Washington Blvd.
- Thursday May 19th there will be a Southern District Community Meeting at the Southern District Police Station on 10 Cherry Hill Rd. There is free food. Just go. It's delicious. And informative.
May is National Bike Month! Feel free to participate in Baltimore's Bike Challenge! There are events throughout the whole month. Bike To Work Day is May 20th, and there will be a Carroll Park station set up with refreshments for those pedaling commuters at the corner of Monroe & Washington Blvd. Check the map for other stops on your way to work:
View 2011 Bike To Work Day Stations in a larger map